Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The power of prayer

My husband and I could really use some prayer right now. We're struggling through the joys and minefields of blending a family. My children are very well adjusted because, unfortunately, their birth father hasn't had anything to do with them pretty much since we divorced. They are used to Jimmy being their dad and they are with us constantly. There are no problems with them having two different sets of rules in two homes, or playing one set of parents against another. We are not so lucky with my husband's daughters. To begin with, they are not being raised in a Christian home...or even a home with many morals. It is not unusual for their mom to act in ways that make my husband and I cringe (such as getting a movie put in her bag by accident at a store and not returning it). Family time, regular homework time and monitored tv/video game time is also unheard of in their home. Sadly, the oldest daughter often plays the parent game. She will come visit us and tell us the horror stories of how her mom fights with her boyfriend, or how they have to deal with said boyfriend's spoiled daughter, etc etc. Then she will go to her mom and say that I don't treat them fairly, or that I act differently towards them when their dad isn't around (can we say "evil stepmom"?). Things seem to only be getting worse and every time they are out for a visit, there is bound to be some drama. As is typical of four children between the ages of 7 and 12, our four don't always get along. This is more fodder to go home to their mom with. I'm at my wits end and I know I just need to give this up to God. If anyone else could put this in their prayers, I would greatly appreciate it.

God bless!

2 comments:

Di said...

You know I'm praying, sweetie!!!!

Melanie said...

Hi, Meg. Thanks for visiting me earlier this week.

I will certainly be praying for you and your family!