Friday, September 5, 2008

Good intentions

Have you ever noticed that even when you start out with the best of intentions, you eventually let things slide? It's the typical tale of New Year's Resolutions, or weight loss goals....you set them and within a week or two (or even less for some of us!), they've gone by the wayside, forgotten in the busyness of life. I constantly find myself setting very similiar goals which should be a sign in and of itself right? Maybe it's that I set too many goals at once, or that I shoot for the stars when I should be aiming a little closer to home. Whatever the reasoning, I find myself running in circles way too often and it's disappointing.

The beginning of a school year is always an auspicious time to attempt to set new goals and keep new resolutions. As a working mom of two energetic kids, I sometimes struggle in keeping my goals. Add the full time job outside of the home to the full time job of being a mom and wife, plus the sometimes debilitating effects of having Sjogren's Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, it's no wonder that I lose hope in ever being the person I want to be. But the book of Matthew reminds me that "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26). With this in mind, even when I falter and lose sight of goals, I realize that I just have to rely on God and start fresh again.

I'm nearing the end of week one and so far, so good. I've been staying on top of the household chores and laundry, homework has been checked and double checked, I've been making yummy homecooked meals for my husband and his coworkers, I've been spending time in the bible every night, I've been reading a little bit every day in a classic novel plus reading with the kids every night (a fun book plus the bible). Even more amazing, I've been managing to get up early every morning to work out on my Gazelle and make a good, hot breakfast for the kiddos before their day starts. I pray that I can stay committed to these goals that I've set for myself and that I can continue to rely on God to give me the strength to do so.

God bless!

1 comment:

Di said...

Sweetie, you should do the 101 things in 1001 days. I can't believe the difference it's made in my life. Ask me if you want to know more.