Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Another school year begins

My kids were both so excited to start school today. This is Annika's first year going full day so I'm sure it will be a totally new experience for her. I can't believe my little baby is a first grader! It made my heart hurt to see her go off for this first day...they all grow up too quickly. Even harder than that, was to see my little man try so hard to make friends with people. For some reason, most boys Aidan's age just don't like him. Girls do, teachers, older kids, and younger kids, but not boys his age. There is this boy who has been in the same class with him since K who just does not like Aidan at all. :( When he walked up to the bus stop, Aidan tried talking to him and he wouldn't look at him. In fact, he went so far as to turn his back on Aidan and Aidan was just prattling on, like he didn't even notice. It made me want to ask that boy what his problem was but I know it won't do Aidan any good for me to get involved. Aidan tries so hard, he wants to fit in, but he just doesn't. Part of it is that my boy is so sensitive. He cries so easily and for boys going into third grade (and quickly moving to the macho end of the spectrum), that is just not cool. I don't know what to do to help him adjust better, to make friends easier. I have no fears with Annika who is a social butterfly and might give us problems on the other end of the spectrum (I have no problem imagining calls from the teacher complaining that Ani talks too much in class!) but I'm at a loss as to how to handle Aidan's situation.

**sigh**

1 comment:

Di said...

Gosh, sounds like my two! Complete opposites!! Believe me, he'll stop showing his sensitivness around 10 or 11 and he'll be fine. I know how hard it is to see it happening now though. (((Meghan)))