Friday, August 22, 2008

Healthcare provider rants

Ok, I'm finally settling in to work today after my morning of doctor fun. See, I've been experiencing a very strange, reocccurring rash, on my ankles and legs for the past 5 months. They are usually not raised and they don't itch while they are there (though, I can tell they are coming on because the area will itch like crazy until they show up) and they are very atypical as far as skin rashes go. Benadryl, hydrocortisone, Benadryl cream, Aveeno...nothing makes a remote dent in the rashes. So, when I woke up Thursday morning with a new set of rashes, I finally called my doctor and they made an appointment for me for first thing this morning. Two doctors looked over me and had NO idea what it is. It is not a comforting feeling, being a medical oddity. They said it appears to be actually UNDER my skin and so not a dermatitis type rash. They referred me to a vascular surgeon who was kind enough to squeeze me in for this morning. What a WASTE! The doctor was in the office with me less than five minutes. He took one look at my legs and declared that it wasn't vascular and he actually sounded vaguely accusatory...like I had a plot to waste his time! It was horrid. It was so frustrating to walk out of there as clueless as I was first thing this morning. **sigh**

So, I came back in to work and called my doctor. After much discussion they've put in an order for more blood work on me plus they've scheduled me to see a new rheumy (as my old one doesn't take my new insurance) because, according to my doc, since I have one autoimmune disease, there is a good chance I will develop others and this could be related. Also, they've mentioned possibly sending me to a hematologist depending on the blood results. Is it any wonder, that even though I have Sjogren's Syndrome & Fibromyalgia, I try to avoid doctors? It always seem that when I start seeing one, they multiply quite like Gremlins exposed to water!

2 comments:

Di said...

I was wondering this morning if it was all related to the Sjoren's(sp?).

I just pray that it goes away and never comes back!!!!

Teresa said...

You might try going to genniesalve.com
I think they have something to help you. It helps all the people that I know that use it.
Good Luck Teresa