Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Graceland, TCB and all things Elvis

Who knew? I planned our trip to Graceland with much eye rolling. I huffed and puffed about doing it for my mother-in-law...what a great DIL I am, huh? I anticipated the trip solely for the excuse to get out of town for a few days...and for the break, I just had to put up with a bunch of tacky, overdone Elvis memorabilia. Imagine my surprise when I found that I actually ENJOYED the visit to Graceland. I learned more about Elvis in those four hours than I have in my entire life. I'm in no danger of collecting kitschy Elvis baubles but my interest has been tweaked. Walking through Graceland was eye opening, if only for the fact that it made Elvis more of a real person to me than the Vegas lounge act that I had in my mind. Most of the rooms in Graceland were pretty hideous but let's cut the guy a break, he bought the place in 1957. Tacky was the style then, as was evidenced by the many jumpsuits we saw in the costume museum.

Beyond Graceland, Memphis is a beautiful city. I wish we had more time down there, the day and a half we actually spent in the city was not enough to see all of it. Sometime, we will make another trip to Tennessee and see both Nashville and Memphis again. For now though, we have enough trips on our plate. In a little over two months, we will be taking our delayed honeymoon to Orlando, and then we are going to Holly for the Renaissance Faire later this summer and Traverse City in October.

God bless!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I'm glad you guys had such a good time!

yoismom said...

So when exactly is your trip to Canada??